A day in the life of a designer... at an Advertising Agency.

I remember my early days working for a small newspaper in town -- a lot of what I did was placing ads created by outside advertising agencies. Whenever I had the opportunity to help the in-house designer with a new ad (from scratch), it was really exciting! I remember feeling a thousand butterflies in my stomach. Literally. It was like waiting in line for a roller coaster ride. I knew the challenge would take me all the way to the top at times and at other times, right to the bottom. 

It's been two and a half months since I started working for an Advertising Agency and there had been instances when I think about those days. Not necessarily because I feel the exact amount of butterflies, but because I remember how I told myself that one day I would be the one designing those ads. I guess it's time to put a check mark next to that thought I put in my head back then...

While this job can be fast paced at times, I try to enjoy every single piece I work on everyday. Whether it's a simple update, a black and white ad, a promotional poster, a brochure for a venue, a logo design or even a book cover I try to give the same treatment to each of these projects. I believe you can show a lot to your client by the way you design for them. You can show them that you respect them and appreciate their business no matter how big or small their business is. Yes, it is true that you are going to prioritize and invest more time (and money) with those big clients, but taking good care of those other ones in the same manner won't hurt. I guess this way of thinking's got something to do with my work ethic. I want to believe this is the way it should be. 

So why did I deviate so much in this post??
My main intention was to give you a look at a glance of what a five-hour day looks like in the ad agency world!

Some of the projects I worked on last week in one of my six-hour days


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...